|Name:||Talk and Support Volunteer|
|Organisation:||Somerset Carers (Carers Support Service)|
|Location:||Viney Court, Viney Street, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 3FB|
To work alongside the Somerset Carers Service to improve the quality of life for Carers and former Carers living in Somerset and to offer friendship, support, and encouragement in their caring role.
• To offer appropriate support including telephone befriending to carers and former carers as part of the support provided by the Somerset Carers Service
• To support existing clients to access a range of Community and locally based support mechanisms such as Carers groups
• To support existing and new clients to access a range of support and services provided by CCS and other voluntary and community groups to gradually reduce dependency on the Talk and Support Service.
• To work holistically with both the carer and the cared for to en-sure that an appropriate action plan is agreed with other CCS staff should the “light touch” approach prove to be inadequate. This will help prevent carer breakdown and provide help with any underlying issues.
• To support existing and new clients to access a range of benefits, advice and entitlements as appropriate by signposting to relevant CCS staff
• To encourage existing and new clients who no longer have a caring role to consider volunteering or return to work options and where appropriate, signpost to relevant CCS staff
• To use active listening techniques to ensure appropriate and relevant support is offered
• To provide encouragement to enable unpaid Carers to feel sup-ported and have a voice which is listened to
• To feedback comments and suggestions for improving the Talk and Support service or the wider Carers Service
• To contribute to identifying appropriate training for Talk and Sup-port volunteers and attend when required.
Somerset Carers is part of the Community Council for Somerset (CCS).
CCS supports people who live and work in Somerset communities through a range of diverse projects which bring together people who care about local community life in Somerset.
Somerset Carers is for those who regularly look after someone in a caring capacity. Caring for another person is very rewarding, but can be overwhelming and lonely at times. Somerset Carers supports Carers by offering advice and guidance.
Somerset Carers links individuals to groups & events in their area. It also finds facts and information that will help the person that is being cared for with their particular needs.
to be friendly, a good listener, and comfortable talking on the phone.
|Other:||Central Taunton location. Office hours. This role will involve calling carers from the Viney Court office, preferably on Monday afternoon or Thursday morning.|