|Name:||1:1 Volunteer Companion|
|Organisation:||Somerset Mental Wellbeing Service|
To act as safeguarding support for the SMWS Navigators (MIND), in attending first visits to clients with them and to provide additional 1:1 support for clients at the request of the Navigators when appropriate.
• To visit the client with a Navigator in his/her own home or outside the home at an agreed venue at a time agreed with the Client
• To provide practical and emotional support to the navigator while with the client
• If appropriate to provide 1:1 Support for that client or other clients on a short term basis after the first visit to enable the client to access his/her community
• To observe health and safety standards for the benefit of self the navigator and the Client.
• To maintain confidentiality at all times.
• To look clean, tidy and presentable, in keeping with the role.
• To perform all duties of the role to the best of his/her ability, with full regard to the Volunteer Policy.
• To comply with the reasonable directions of the Navigators on behalf of SMWS.
• To highlight training needs appertaining to the Role
• To attend meetings and training as required by the Service and the role.
• To report any sickness holidays and other absences.
• At the end of any 1:1 session apart from first visits to complete a record of the session and any further action required. This will then be passed onto the Navigator to be updated onto Charity Log.
Promoting Mental Wellbeing through connecting with your community.
We recognise that mental health needs come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so we don’t assume that your diagnosis defines you.
We aim to support individuals across Somerset to improve and maintain their mental wellbeing through access to community resources and opportunities.
The service is available to those who wish to improve their mental wellbeing to reduce the impact on their lives with meaningful support.
SMWS is provided by Compass Disability Services working in partnership with Mind Taunton & West Somerset, Mind South Somerset Chard Watch CIC
• To demonstrate sensitivity when communicating with people who are clients of the Service.
• To show an understanding of the client and his/her issues.
• To help the client and the navigator feel relaxed and secure.
• To establish and maintain appropriate boundaries with any relationship with the client and the navigator.
• To have the ability to work alone, unsupervised, using his/her own initiative.
• To be reasonably flexible in the hours of volunteering, to meet the needs of the client and the navigator.
• To be able to travel to and from the client’s home (within an accessible distance).
• To be contactable by telephone.
• To understand the need to contact the Navigator if any problems arise.
• To be able to maintain confidentiality.
• To be able to demonstrate reliability, consistency, responsibility and honesty.
• To be non-judgmental.
• To undertake an induction and participate in training as required by the role.
• To have an understanding of and commitment to Equal Opportunities.
• To undertake an enhanced DBS Check before commencing the role.
|Expenses:||This is a voluntary position. Reasonable expenses can be claimed from MIND.|
|Other:||Working hours are negotiable.|