|Name:||Side-by-Side 1-2-1 Volunteer|
|Organisation:||Alzheimer's Society (West Somerset)|
Side by Side volunteers provide agreed support to people with dementia - this could be either by visiting them in their home or enabling them to stay active, taking part in appropriate social and recreational activities in their community.
You could support a person with dementia to go to their local cinema, pick up an old hobby, visit local museums, try a new leisure activity or just stay at home and chat. This could be at any time throughout the day, at a weekend or on an evening.
Your involvement aims to help people to feel less isolated enabling the person to focus on their strengths to remain active and confident.
Alzheimer's Society provides information and support to people with dementia, their carers, families and friends, and education for the health and social care sector. We exist to champion the rights of everyone with dementia and those who care for them. Drawing on our unique knowledge we will become a world-class authority on all aspects of living with dementia; guarantee the availability of accurate and authoritative information; strive for universal access to quality services; galvanise investment for research into the causes, prevention, treatment and care of people with dementia.
Applications via the Do-It website will be sent to Engage. Engage will receive your information and then process the application and forward your details on to The Alzheimer's Society.
Will require a criminal record check (DBS)
A person able to offer a level of commitment: e.g. hours per week / month, to support a person with dementia to continue to stay active / involved in society.
Activities would include:
• Enabling a person with dementia to maintain active involvement in their own home or community
• Providing one to one support to enable people with dementia to continue with their hobbies and interests as agreed during the assessment process carried out by the Side by Side manager
• Creating / facilitating opportunities for participation in leisure and social activities
• Enabling a person with dementia to engage with activities in a safe and enjoyable environment
• Maintaining accurate written updates
• Liaising with and reporting to the Side by Side manager on a regular basis, including changes or concerns regarding the service user, as well as discussing personal learning and development needs
• Keeping up to date with the Alzheimer’s Society’s policies and procedures.
|Training:||A minimum of 6 months commitment is required, once relevant checks have taken place.A police check and 2 references will be required prior to commencing in the role.Applications via the Do-It website will be sent to Engage. Engage will receive your i|