|Name:||Disco Support Volunteer|
|Organisation:||Compass Disability Services|
To assist in the running of “Anything But Ordinary” Inclusive discos for those aged 18+. Discos run on a Thursday evening from 6.30pm until 9.30pm (Advertised as running until “Late” but they are usually over by 9.30pm)
• To support the facilities team to set the rooms up with the appropriate equipment and supplies and clear activities and rooms away in readiness for following sessions.
• To support the facilities team to check customers in and take appropriate payments.
• To engage with disco goers, encouraging them to dance and participate at a level appropriate to them. This will require you to dance alongside them and throw some shapes on the dancefloor!
• To work alongside the Facilities team to ensure that there is an appropriate soundtrack to the evening. This will require training on the use of the disco equipment (Amps, laptop, lights etc).
• To supervise disco goers and ensure that any inappropriate behaviour is reported to a member of staff.
• To maintain the general tidiness and cleanliness of the activity rooms during sessions.
• To serve basic refreshments and take payments in the Compass Wellbeing café, passing food orders to a member of staff for preparation.
• To carry out any reasonable instruction from a member of staff to ensure the health and safety of all customers, staff and volunteers at Compass Wellbeing.
• To maintain a positive and professional image of the organisation at all times.
• Be aware of and adhere to Compass Disability Services’ policies and procedures at all times.
• To remain aware of, and abide by, current legislation, organisation policy and the eight principles relating to Data Protection.
• To commit to the necessary training and development activities in order to fulfil the role and your potential.
Compass Disability Services is an innovative, enlightened and positive organisation. Its mission is:
"To enable and empower disabled people and carers to have independence, choice and control in their lives".
Compass Disability Services is a user led organisation and our Board of Trustees, who are elected by our users, is comprised of at least 80% disabled people. We have adopted the Social Model of Disability as a way of working to remove barriers which exclude disabled people from equality of opportunity.
Our Values and Beliefs
• We promote independence, choice and control
• We support equality of opportunity for all people
• We operate within and promote the Social Model of Disability
• We aim to empower and enable disabled people
• We promote equal access and inclusion to all services and facilities
• We adopt a partnership working approach
• We are a non-campaigning organisation
Compass Disability Services works through consultation, representation and service provision to fulfil our mission. We work in partnership with local government, the Health Service, Social Services, other voluntary sector and charitable organisations and anyone else who can benefit from our knowledge and expertise.
Compass Disability Services has a range of projects which have their own websites. Please click on the link on the left hand menu to take you to these websites for more information on the projects.
Volunteers must be 18 years of age or over.
An understanding of and an ability to engage with adults with learning disabilities and other complex disabilities.
Do you know your Cha Cha Slide from your Gangnam Style? You will need to be able to encourage and engage with customers at our Anything But Ordinary Discos, supporting them to dance and participate at a level appropriate to the individual.
Excellent communication skills with an enthusiastic and supportive character with the energy required to keep going!
|Expenses:||This is a voluntary position. Reasonable expenses as detailed in the Volunteer Expenses Policy will be claimable.|
|Other:||Volunteering Hours: Thursday evening from 6.30pm – 9.30pm.|